booking online hotels' list
(thanks to Association of Hoteliers)
Since 1339 the Doges' residence, it is a venue of excellence for major events and prestigious activities.
The Palazzo Ducale of Genoa is one of the city’s most admired symbols. Its construction started in 1298, when Genoa was consolidating its economic power throughout the Mediterranean. The adjacent Palazzo Fieschi, which was bought by the Republic in 1294, was also incorporated into the building. Part of the medieval structure is still visibile today with its “Torre del Popolo” (Tower of the people), also known as “La Grimaldina”.
Over the 14th and 15th centuries new buildings were added to the Palazzo. In the 16th century a new look was given to the palace, which was believed to be more adequate than the medieval building to welcome and extol the role of the new Oligarchic Republic. In 1591, Ticino architect Andrea Ceresola, called “il Vannone”, was given the job of rebuilding the Palazzo. This resulted in a “monumental complex” featuring the grand hall with two porticoed courtyards on the sides, the wide, grand staircase leading from the hall to the loggias of the first floor, the guest rooms and the Doge’s apartments with the annexed chapel.
The decoration of the rooms was also aimed at extolling the city’s glories. Restored after the fire of 1777, Ticino architect Simone Cantoni added neo-classical elements to the Palazzo. In the 19th and 20th centuries the palace underwent restoration of various kinds and, in particular, thanks to a complex renovation project – which, with its 300,000 square metres of volume, was the most extensive project ever accomplished in Europe – the palace regained its old splendour and was reopened to the city on May 14, 1992. The residence is the throbbing heart of the city’s cultural life; it superbly hosts major events, exhibitions and activities of quality and is also enlivened by trade and entertainment initiatives.
Disabled access has been checked by Terre di Mare Association; consult the webpage of Palazzo Ducale.
Further information: www.palazzoducale.genova.it